Thursday, February 28, 2008

Worthy Chinese Movies

This is an incomplete list of some Chinese movies worth watching.

  • A World Without Thieves (2004) Tian Xia Wu Zei 《天下无贼》
    • This one is really unbelievable in some ways, and a little frustrating at times, but is well worth watching. It has a very un-American style ending.
  • Crazy Stone (2006) Fengkuang de Shitou 《疯狂的石头》
    • Similar in style to Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, this film is worth watching but cannot be taken too seriously. It is fun to watch. It has a sequence that makes me think of "The God's Must Be Crazy" dealing with fate and chance.
  • Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) Yin shi nan nu 《饮食男女》
    • This one is a great one for getting a look at family relationships. I enjoyed it because it has some serious parts but is has it's light parts as well.
  • Perhaps Love (2005) Ruguo Ai 《如果·爱》
    • This one will leave your head spinning if you are not careful. The sequence at the beginning is nothing short of confusing.
  • Kung Fu (aka: Kung Fu Hustle) (2004) GongFu 《功夫》
    • This is fun to watch and the visuals are crazy! I didn't like the way the candy sucker love scene was handled, but I guess that is cultural.
  • The Road Home (1999) Wode Fuqin Muqin 《我的父亲母亲》
    • This is a sad one. I get teary eyed every time I watch it. It really is a nice story about a couple and their struggle to be together. It is simple and well made like a painting.
I recently saw Lust, Caution (Se, Jie). While it was well made, I don't think I liked it overall. They were certainly trying hard to make a good film, and you could feel them trying hard.

No comments:

Korean Flash Cards